The concept is simple: Let’s say the Second Chance limo has come for you. You now get a second chance to right a wrong. The consequences of the second chance, however, are anything but simple. Did you hurt someone in some way? Or did someone do something to you? Either way, wouldn’t you like a second chance to straighten things out? Enter: the Second Chance Limousine. A mysterious, black 1959 Cadillac limousine arrives unexpectedly and, one way or another, you end up in the back seat and the car rolls away into the night.
The next thing you know, you’re back at a point in time just prior to the traumatic event with no idea how you got there. You find a business card in your pocket (or on the table, or on the nightstand next to your bed). A “Second Chance Limousine” logo is on the front of the card. The card has the numbers 1 through 12 printed across the top and the numbers 13 through 24 along the bottom. You notice one of those numbers has a hole punched through it. You flip the card over and read this:
••• This Second Chance has a time limit. The numbers represent hours. The number punched on this card is the amount of time you have to make things right. Your time will begin automatically the moment you finish reading this. The card is programmed to monitor your success or failure to complete your task. This Second Chance will expire if the task is not completed within the allotted time frame. Should that happen, you will immediately find yourself back in the moment of time and in the exact situation in which you were engaged just before the driver appeared at the scene. Good luck. Your time starts Now. •••
At first you’re puzzled. This isn’t possible, and yet here you are. Somehow, by some strange twist of fate, you’ve been given what everyone wishes for at some point in their life: a second chance. Now, the rest is up to you. Will you succeed? Or will you fail? You won’t know until you try. And by the way, you’d better get a move on. Your time starts….. Now.
The 5 “Twisted Tales” in this volume are:
• ATONEMENT (novelette, 11,500 words) – A wealthy computer software entrepreneur is filled with remorse for having his wife murdered by a killer-for-hire. Can he atone for such a sin? The 2nd Chance Limo is on the way. But will it help? Or will it fail? You’ll have to read this twisted tale. Wanna take a ride?
• A BITE OUT OF TIME (novelette, 7,500 words) – Vince Blaylock, an up and coming rock star, finds himself smitten and bitten and not at all pleased to discover he’s now a vampire. A hundred years later, to the day, his Second Chance becomes a tale of revenge with an ending you won’t see coming. Wanna take a ride?
• THE GOOD LIBRARIAN (novella, 21,500 words) – The tiny, rural town of Higginsville has a rather unusual library. Perhaps even more unusual than the library is the old head librarian, Ms. Beatrice Busby. She burns books. But when a Gypsy woman arrives and all hell breaks loose in the library basement, on Halloween night, and two young girls meet their demise, well… somebody’s gonna need a second chance to make things right. Then again, who’s to decide what’s right? Wanna take a ride?
• 1ST AVENUE ANNIE (novelette, 10,000 words) – A wanna-be actress, with a life full of baggage, finally gets a shot at the big time. The stage is set, the curtain is about to go up, the audience is buzzing with anticipation. What could possibly go wrong? Rest assured, something will. Something terrible. But you know what they say: The show must go on. The Second Chance Limo is on the way and the script is about to be revised in ways no one could have imagined. Wanna take a ride?
• THE PRANK (novelette: 17,500 words) – The owner of a small grocery store plays a lottery prank on a homeless man. It was all with the best of intentions. Who would have thought it could all go so wrong? So wrong that the Second Chance limo had to make two trips. Guns and fists and turns and twists. Oh my. Wanna take a ride?